Things are really coming down to the wire. I can’t remember the last time I was so stressed out at work.
I’m really excited for the elections – what’s going to happen? what direction will russia take? what will happen to my job? what will happen to our lives here?? It’s a bit like the night before Christmas, except there’s so much dread and stress mixed in with the curiosity. It’s hard for me to see beyond the end of next week.
Economist husband had a wonderful grain of Russian-polished wisdom for me, after I came home all tense from the office the other night – “Не ошибается тот, который ничего не делает” (The person who does nothing makes no mistakes). It’s got to be my all-time favorite Russian saying (does anyone know if it can actually be considered a Russian saying? Perhaps it’s international and I just heard from a Russian the first time…) So encouraging! Yes, mistakes (sometimes big ones) happen all the time, but at least you’re trying to do something. It reminds me to look back and recognize all the good I actually have accomplished, and to focus on that instead of my mistakes.
Anyway, we’re supposed to have Saturday off, and then I’m going in extra early on Sunday to turn material from early voting in Russia’s Far East (Russia is so big!!). What are your plans for the weekend?
Until then, enjoy the following links. My brain is on the elections, and it’s a bit hard to think about anything else…
- THE number one most exciting thing about the last few months in Russia (in my humble opinion)
- A blogger’s prayer. Great reminder of what’s really important.
- A great soundtrack if you, like me, need to chill out this week.
- Gorgeous news video from the northern Russian city of Segezha. More to get you thinking about the elections
- Reflections: a beautiful little 20 second portrait series post…check it out for yourself – it made me smile
- Daily Corruption in Russia: a GREAT article on what it’s like to live with corruption here. If you don’t take a look at anything else, check this out.
- Photographs of beautiful wooden houses in Siberian.
- How to write a book: as explained in a single blog post.
- Living simply. A beautiful picture of a Reduce-Reuse-Recycle lifestyle (found via Amy at Seven Grey Sweaters!) This is so inspiring!
- And finally, a trailer for a documentary called ‘Putin’s Kiss’ about a woman who got caught up in the pro-Putin youth group Nashi…