So, did you make pancakes for maslenitsa??
It’s been a hard week with work, and I’m spending Saturday at the office – it’s all hands on deck in the lead-up to Russia’s presidential elections next week. Don’t get me started on those, though, or this will turn into a really long and political post…!
What are your plans for the weekend?
I feel like I’m harping a bit on the Maslenitsa, and Lent tradition, but I just love following the seasons, and the rhythm of a traditional Christian calendar. I think it’s so cool to have a whole month dedicated to preparing your heart and mind for Easter.
If you DO decide to make blini, and think about Lent (it starts on Monday, according to the Russian Orthodox calendar, I believe), here are a few links for your online perusing enjoyment:
- the best crepe/blini recipe I have ever tasted (use whatever filling you like. I personally enjoy plain yogurt and raspberry jam)
- Maslenitsa tradition, plus a more authentic potato blini recipe
- 10 questions to prepare for Lent (in Russian)
- 40 ideas for Lent
- Ann Voskamp on Lent (including a book list)
- A Russian pancake stall
- Also, because I can’t quite get my head out of the elections, here is a rap performed by billionaire and Russian presidential candidate Mikhail Prokhorov.